Snow is in the forecast for the week of Thanksgiving 2019
(Tuesday – Saturday so far)!
Now is the time to start preparing for winter driving conditions and to ensure you arrive safely for your trip to Truckee/Tahoe to celebrate the holiday! Here are a few, very important, reminders and tips for driving in winter conditions:
Winterize Your Vehicle
- Schedule a maintenance check for your vehicle tires and tire pressure, brakes, head and tail lights, front and back wipers, signals, exhaust system, heater/defroster, and all fluid levels checked (Oil, coolant, antifreeze and wiper fluid). Windshield washer fluid (use a blend that is suitable for 20 degrees and below) is especially important to wash away the mixture of slush and snow hitting your windshield.
- Purchase chains ahead of time and practice placing them on your tires properly. How to Install Tire Chains You can also have winter tires mounted to avoid needing chains (see below!) Be familiar with proper chain placement for your vehicle (some vehicles only require chains on back tires/front tires) and make sure to carry a set of work gloves, which will come in handy when installing chains in cold, snowy weather!Elements Mountain Company Explains the different types of snow tires and when to use snow tires or chains.
- A little preparation can make all the difference in an emergency. Before hitting the road, make sure you have an emergency kit that will accommodate the needs of everyone in the vehicle, should you need to spend more time in your vehicle than expected. Click Here for a great list of items to include in your kit.
- Sign up for Nixle updates (mobile alerts) before you hit the road by texting Truckee’s zip code (96161) to 888777. For more information on Nixle alerts, Click Here.
- Check current road conditions on the Cal Trans website by Clicking Here
- Don’t forget to CLICK HERE for a list of all upcoming local events and great tips for celebrating Thanksgiving in Truckee and Tahoe!
We sincerely hope you enjoy this Thanksgiving Holiday!
-John Biebl and Anna McGee
Truckee-Tahoe Real Estate